Click to escape another site's frames
Freshwater Fish Recipes
Thursday, September 18, 2014
click on a topic area:
Recipes for Bluegill, Crappie, Lake Perch, Whitefish, Northern Pike, Walleye and other freshwater fish
Lake Michigan provides some of the best fishing for Bluegill, Crappie, Lake Perch, Whitefish, Northern Pike, Walleye and other freshwater fish in the Midwest. The states surrounding the lake were settled in the early 1800's providing a rich tradition with many varied regional cooking specialities and techniques. We will continue to add regional recipes offering the unique flavors of midwest cooking and some other favorite recipes from different areas.
Bluegill and Crappie Recipes:
Bluegill and Crappie are present in many of the harbors and bays that surround the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Fishing for Bluegill and Crappie can be done year round.
Lake Perch Recipes:
Lake Perch also called Yellow Perch are a favorite sports fish of many anglers in Lake Michigan. Early in the spring fisherman pursue Lake Perch in the depths of the lake. Summer and fall bring Lake Perch near shore available for shore fisherman. Winter ice fishing for Lake Perch is popular in frozen harbors and bays.
- Friday Night Fish Fry's using Lake Perch are a tradition in the communities that surround Lake Michigan. The perch is usually served with french fried potatoes, coleslaw and rye bread. These recipes are primarily used for Perch but will work equally well with other panfish:
- Fried Lake Perch Almondine Recipe - An almond cracker crusting on the Lake Perch give the fish a crunchy texture.
- Cracker Crusted Lake Perch Recipe - Saltine cracker crusting on the Lake Perch give the fish a crunchy texture.
- Potato Crusted Lake Perch Recipe - Potato crusting using instant potato buds is an easy method to acheive a crunchy texture with a unique flavor.
- Panko Crusted Lake Perch Recipe - Panko is the Japanese word for "bread crumbs". Unlike other bread crumbs, panko is made from the softer, tender centers of the bread instead of the crust. This results in a larger flaky bread crumb and a crunchier texture when fried.
Northern Pike Recipes:
Northern Pike are present in many of the harbors and bays that surround the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Fishing for Northern Pike is primarily done in fall and winter by ice fishing.
Walleye are present in many of the bays and rivers that surround the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Fishing for Walleye is primarily done in spring, fall and winter by ice fishing.
Whitefish inhabit the depths of Lake Michigan. They are primarily commercially caught and are available fresh in many towns surrounding Lake Michigan. Fishing for Whitefish is done in the fall from shore when they appear in the shallow rocky areas for spawning. Ice fishing for Whitefish is popular in many of the northern bays of Lake Michigan.
More Fish Recipes:
To have recipes considered for addition please Email Us:
Lake Michigan Angler
All rights reserved.
This web page was last modified on
Monday, February 24, 2014
Copyright © 2000-2014 Lake Michigan Angler
No content, pictures, graphics, images or other material from LakeMichiganAngler.com
may be copied, printed, or reproduced in any manner, without prior written permission.
All rights reserved.