Lake Michigan Fishing Tips
For Salmon, trout, steelhead, coho, chinook, lake trout, brown
trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, perch and walleye.
Saturday, September 20, 2014
click on a topic area:
Great Lakes Salmon, Steelhead,
Trout and other species Fishing
Tips, Tactics, Tricks, Techniques,
Articles and General Information
Fishing tips and techniques for Salmon, Trout, Steelhead and other species are generic in nature and can be modified and applied to any location. Some techniques which are unique to the Great Lakes have been adjusted and used in saltwater fishing in Europe and the Pacific Coast of North America from California North to Alaska. Many of the salmon techniques used in the Great Lakes today, originated in the Pacific Northwest saltwater salmon fishery from where our original fish were obtained. Fishing tips and tactics used for Lake Trout can be adapted to any deep water fishery. A world class trophy Brown Trout and Steelhead fishery can be found in many of the Great Lakes, the numerous tributary rivers and streams, trolling, and shore fishing.
The different types of fishing tips, articles and techniques located in the website are logically separated into several major topic categories:
Specific techniques and tips related to each type of fishing can be found in the different categories. Salmon, trout, steelhead and other species of fish fishing articles are also included.
General Fishing Tips, Techniques and Information
- Fish Identification: General information about identifing the various species of fish present in Lake Michigan.
- Fishing Regulations: General information and links to the different fishing rules and regulations for each of the four states that border Lake Michigan: Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.
- Fishing in Lake Michigan: General information about the different types of fishing available:
- Fishing Knots: A link to a website that contains examples of tying various fishing knots with animated drawings that easily show each step in tying complex knots.
- Hook Sharpening: A technical sheet from Luhr Jensen that details hook sharpening techniques.
- Maps and Books: Information about various maps and books about Lake Michigan.
- Online Maps: Links to several Online Map companies.
- Using Salmon and Trout Eggs or Spawn for Bait Information about the different Great Lakes trout, steelhead and salmon; techniques for tying spawn sacks or spawn bags; tips on how to gather salmon eggs and spawn; how to cure and store salmon and trout eggs, spawn, roe and skein for use as fishing bait.
- How to catch bait fish with Sabiki Rigs Using sabiki rigs to catch fresh bait fish is a popular technique. Sabiki rigs are multi-hook jigging rigs for catching herring, smelt, alewife, shad and other small bait fish.
- How to make salted Minnows Salting minnows and small bait fish is a popular preservation technique.
- How to catch and collect Nightcrawler worms Collecting and catching nightcrawler worms in spring is relatively easy.
- How to store nightcrawler worms. Properly stored nightcrawler worm can be kept alive for several weeks.